dimanche 11 septembre 2011

Today, were all New Yorkers

So a funny thing happened a couple of weeks ago. I moved to New York. I don't think I will ever forget pulling up to my neighborhood in a taxi, and walking up the stairs while all my neighbors were awkwardly staring at the new white boy moving into the hood. Nor will I forget speaking to my landlady who's english is....... eehhhhhhhh........ and trying to fall asleep on the top bunk in a burning hot apartment that first night while the words, " I live in New York," kept running through my head.

But honestly it is fantastic. I have made some great friends, I'm starting to get the hang of classes, and I say good morning to all of my neighbors when I leave the house to go to school. The dog that lives in my apartment doesn't smell quite so bad anymore, ( her name is Shina, the landlady keeps her hear because she says that she doesn't get along with the other dogs, but I swear it is because of the smell. My wonderful mother helped me clean up all of the hair that was undoubetdly contributing to the stench, bless you mother.) And now when I want to get somewhere I don't have to call friends, or ask random people on the train which stop to get off at. All I need is an address and I'll get there. Thats not bad for two weeks right? (K seriously, while I am sitting here writing my dog farted and when I yelled at her and then she came up and breathed on my face. I wish there was a tasteful moral way to kill someone else's dog.)

Of course my favorite thing about living here is exactly what I thought it would be, the music. I have gone to see two opera showings, been to four broadway shows, and last night I say the New York Phil (more on that later). Its been two weeks. I'm gonna be here for TWO YEARS!!!! ( My dog just farted again..... wow.)  I have also spent nights with friends wandering around the endless blocks looking at things I remember from TV and Movies, and trying to get a feel from the Bronx to the village on how it all fits together. It feels adventurous. It feels refreshing. Of course a lot of this easy fun transition had to do with my wonderful mother. She came here and spent a few days with me helping me clean the apartment, taking me to see shows, and buying me food and other things the apartment needed. I don't know what I did to deserve a mother like her. Thanks mom!

School is an exciting and terrifying environment. I am the only American taking from my Russian piano teacher. There are two kids from Costa Rica, three from Spain, and the rest are from Korea or China. American pianists are a dying race. I blame Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga. Maybe I blame the record companies, or Snookie she is making everybody dummer. I am not sure I'll get back to you on that one.


So last night I went and saw the New York Phil play Malhers Resurrection Symphony number 2. It was a tribute concert to the victims of 9/11. The posters all over the city said simply, "Concert for New York." It started with the conductor coming onstage and asking the audience to rise. We all sang "The Star Spangled Banner," with the powerful accompaniment of the New York Phil. It is a wonderful feeling to stand in a room full of strangers from all different walks of life and feel so united. We are Americans. When those towers were hit 10 years ago Al Queda wasn't just attacking a certain group of people. They were giving the most vicious insult they could possibly give to who we are by taking American lives. It was such a wonderful feeling to stand there with all those people who shared my love for America and pay respect to the recovering families, and our recovered nation. The symphony was absolutely gorgeous and when the singers and choir sang about the hope of resurrection that we have through Christ it was a very fitting way to remember the people who died than remembering that they won't be dead forever.

So anyway that is life in New York. I wake up everyday, play a little on the Steinway in my apartment, (that is right there is a Steinway in my apartment, how cool is that), go for a run, go to school, come home practice some more, read, and go to bed. A show here, a concert there, a dirty cheap hot dog off the street every once in a while, metro rides, and whatever else I haven't discovered yet. Sounds great right? So you should come visit. I got a couch, a bed. If you can stand the smell of the dog your welcome to stay. Everyone needs to spend a little time in the city. I guess when the towers hit 10 years President Bush told the mayor that "Today were all New Yorkers." God Bless America, and today God Bless New York, my new home.

Ryan

1 commentaire:

  1. okay...just saw the link to this! that makes me excited for updates!!! we need to talk soon, mr.

    and I think I need to fit a new york trip in!

    RépondreSupprimer